Leslie asked me if I would make a cathedral window pincushion for her booth at International Quilt Market week after next. I told her I would be thrilled to make some for her ( she is super sweet and really amazing)! Since it has been awhile since I have made any pincushions, I looked back at my tutorial. When I don't make something and I am even a little unsure, I do like to look back to see if I am doing it correctly!
I grabbed some fabrics and started sewing them yesterday. I could not be more pleased with the results!
So far I have completed two pincushions. I had forgotten how easy they are to stitch up! You can find my tutorial here.
The fun part of sewing these beauties up is the ease of the perfect curves. It looks like it would be a royal pain to sew but it is really very simple!
I made a short video that I shared on my gogokim Instagram yesterday ( bad nails and all) to share how easy this step is to do! I did this one handed and looking through my phone so I apologize for the iffy quality. I used the inside of the #37 Bernina foot as my guide. I like a 2.8 stitch length and use Aurifil 50wt thread to stitch.
To get better accuracy, go slow. I do not use pins, I have found that they get in the way. the curved pieces will fall naturally into place.
For starting at the top, sometimes I will use a stiletto to help keep the tip of the fold down.
For the hand stitching to close the back I used Aurifil 50wt in a coordinating color. It melts into the fabric so you can see only design! For the button I used Aurifil 12wt cotton. Button sewing requires a heavier weight. The 12wt is thick and very sturdy to hold up to lots of tugging!
This is the second pincushion I made! The teal and dots received a huge thumbs up from the people of this house!
If you missed the Sunday Stash post, here are the gorgeous fabric and some coordinating threads!
Linking this post up to Finish it up Friday!